Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dear Amelia and Emma,

I can't believe an entire month has already passed. Your Dad and I entered into this not really knowing what to expect and had absolutely no idea how to be a parent. The last month has taught us many things; that you can be so in love with someone you only just met, how to deal with things that are out of your control and that we will be talking a lot about poop - even more than we used to! It has been the happiest, scariest and the most surreal time of our life but we wouldn't change it for the world.

Amelia, the littlest big sister. The first time I saw you was a couple hours after you were born, you were in the NICU lying on a warming table. You were so tiny and absolutely precious. I wasn't able to hold you then, but I did reach over and touch your hand and you held my finger! Although I didn't get to visit with you and your sister long, it will forever be one of the best moments in my life.

Over this first month you have changed so much, we can't believe what a perfect little lady you are growing up to be. You make the most expressive faces, you can go from smiling to frowning and back again in a matter of seconds. You make this face where you stick out your tiny tongue and look up to the left. You are being hilarious and you don't even know it, you get that from your dad! Even though you are smaller than your sister you won't let that stop you. You are a fighter and I absolutely love that about you.

Emma, the biggest little sister. The first time I saw you was also a couple hours after you were born, I was very fortunate to be able to take you out from the warming table and hold you for the first time. Even though you were so little and I was so nervous, it was such a great moment. The very cool thing about it was I looked up at the clock and it was midnight, which meant it was my 30th birthday. What a great birthday present!

Over this first month you have also changed so much. You have this laid back personality where nothing really bothers you. You take your time eating but you always finish. The thing you love most is to be swaddled like a baby burrito. You are a very stinky baby, I am always surprised at how such a big stink could come from such a small baby. You are always cracking smiles, even though they are probably from the gas I like to pretend that you are smiling back at me. They melt my heart.

Amelia and Emma, Dad and I are so proud of how big you've both grown. Happy one month birthday Amelia Bedelia and Emma B. We can't imagine life without you.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I can't believe I didn't read this sooner, but now I am sitting her bawling my eyes out! This will be a great way to preserve memories for you and Derek and the girlies!

    ReplyDelete