Friday, August 5, 2011

Dear Amelia and Emma,

Happy First Birthday! It seems as though it was just yesterday that we
met and fell in love instantly. You were both so tiny and perfect in
every way.

How did we get here? How is it that we've already arrived at your
first birthday? I can't believe it. For 365 days we have been by you.
In the beginning, it was a blur. We learned valuable lessons such as:
you can't always control what happens, family and friends can get you
through everything, if one baby is hungry then the other one is going
to eat too, talking about poop never gets old and the diaper bag is
definitely not magic.

For every milestone you've reached, our hearts have exploded with pure
joy. To be able to witness your first smile, the first time you rolled
over, the first time you held your head up, the first time you noticed
one another, the first time you clapped and the look on your faces as
you discover something new has been so amazing. For every setback,
every sickness, every bump and bruise, our hearts have broken. We can
only wish for you girls that there are more highs than lows as you
grow older.

Amelia,
My littlest big sister, you amaze me everyday. Figuring out how to get
around has been a bit of a challenge for you, but you've never let it
get in the way. At the beginning of this month you would get around
with a combination of two things; rolling back and forth and by also
scooting around on your back. On the day of your birthday party you
learned that a belly crawl allows you to move much faster. You have
become a pro at sitting up. You no longer need any assistance, and can
re-balance yourself if you begin to fall. I have seen you get onto
your hands and knees and start rocking back and forth, but you haven't
figured out how to actually crawl yet. You will get there little girl,
I know it, and once you do I am in trouble!!

This month you learned to wave bye bye and also learned to high five.
You have become wonderfully social, smiling at everyone when we go
out. You bring so much joy to people that we see as we move through
our day. I feel so proud to show you off and to watch you smile at
friends, family and strangers. I think that as you get more practice
with waving and high fives you will be using this to your advantage
for more attention!

Emma,
My big little sister, my little tornado. Figuring out how to get into
everything has not been a challenge for you. At the beginning of this
month you started to crawl. No longer contained to a blanket, off to
do your own thing. You can open cabinet doors and drawers in the
kitchen and pull out the Tupperware. You can empty the entire DVD
collection onto the floor. You also mastered your fine motor skills
and developed a love affair with paper. I don't know how you do it,
but you have learned to pick up any tiny speck of paper and put it in
your mouth. I'm pretty sure you have a stash of paper somewhere
because the floors are clean, I don't know where you get it! You have
no limitations and a mind of your own. A total speed demon.

This month, I have seen a very affectionate side to you too. You will
now crawl over to me, get up on your knees and reach up for me. This
means you are looking for a cuddle and I am always willing to take
time out for a cuddle. You will hold onto my arms, lay still for a few
minutes and then you are off to find your next adventure. Just know, I
am soaking up every minute because I know these cuddles won't last
forever.

Girls,
Thank you for reminding us to take it slower, to love more, to laugh
more and to learn more. We hope we can continue to teach you these
important life lessons as you grow older. What a wild ride this year
has been, sweet girls. You are both such a blessing. Your Daddy and I
love you more than words can say.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment