Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It wasn't a mouse.....

A few weeks ago, Derek and I were in the attic bringing down Christmas decorations. Now as you all know, the girls baptism dresses were made out of my wedding dress, so all that remains in the attic is the box and a few swatches of dress. I happen to look over and saw what appeared to be a dead mouse under the box cover (which is clear). I freaked out and called Derek upstairs to have a look at the mouse. Derek looked at it for a minute and solidly stated - that is not a mouse, it doesn't have a tail. I asked, not really wanting to know, what it was. His answer....a BAT. After trampling Derek over to get out of the attic, we quickly shut the door and have not opened the door again....until today.......

Today, it was time to put the Christmas decorations away. We had been dragging our feet putting things away, cause we really didn't want to deal with the bat. Today, Karen came down to help me put away the Christmas decorations. She had the day off, and what better way to spend the day than cleaning my house! I had warned her about the bat, and being a bit interested, she went up to the attic to check things out. She told me the bat was still there. We put rubber gloves on our list of things to get at the store later, so that we could safely remove him. We decided that it was safe to put away and started to bring things up. Karen was up in the attic and i was passing things to her from the stairs. At one point, she accidentally kicked the box top and thought to herself..oh I should tell Jen the bat isn't there anymore.. No sooner did she think that then the bat started moving.... The conversation went something like this..

Karen: "Um, the bat is not dead"
Jen: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS NOT DEAD"
Karen: "It's crawling towards me"
Jen" WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS CRAWLING TOWARDS YOU"
KAREN: "It's little legs are moving"
It was a flurry of screams and yelling, as we quickly made our way down the stairs..

I decided that the best thing to do was to call a bat exterminator. There was no way I was touching that thing! We called a service we found online. After describing the situation and asking for someone to call us back, we decided to venture back up into the attic, to see what was happening with the bat. Lucky you for, we documented our adventure...

2 comments:

  1. oh that is funny 2 bad we can not see the vido because our computer well not let us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad me laugh after a long day of teacher in-service. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete